Payday Loans
mill_sails
mill_capstan
mill_brakewheel
millstones

Restoration 1995

Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Sixty years after the first restoration in 1935, the mill was restored again. A retired Merchant Navy Captain - Brad Wallace-Bradley, largely initiated the events leading up to the 1995 restoration. He attended a UCT ‘Summer School’ lecture on Watermills and Windmills by James Walton, and following the advice given at a meeting later, joined the ‘Vernacular Architecture Society of S.A.

James Walton who was the Honorary Life President of the Society, and author of the definitive book on South African mills, focused attention on the old windmill in Mowbray.

The Vernacular Architecture Society of S.A. formed a sub-committee for Mostert’s Mill in 1986 following correspondence with Andre Bakker in Holland. This Sub-committee collated information about the mill and lobbied about improving the deteriorating condition of the mill.

restoration_3

friend

In 1992 the Sub-committee decided that a new society should be formed to work for the restoring and operation of the mill. A public meeting was held on the 28th October 1992 in the Mowbray Town hall and it was resolved that a steering committee should draw up a draft constitution.

On the 9th March 1993 a second public meeting was held in the Mowbray Town hall. The ‘Friends of Mostert’s Mill’ was duly established, the draft constitution approved and a committee was elected.

Much liaison and negotiation between the new “Friends of Mostert’s Mill” and the Department of Public Works (DPW) followed which resulted in an announcement that in August 1995 the mill would be be closed for restoration. The DPW also announced that the cost for the machinery restoration would be R245 000.

The Dutch millwrighting company - Dunning-Bremmer (who restored the mill in 1935) once again carried out the machinery restoration.

 

Friends of Mosterts Mill is a Non-Profit Organisation.
NPO# 120-838 NPO